Tuesday 2 February 2010

Another one? Oh, go on then..

This gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, as if I've just eaten lots of Wensleydale and crackers...

Yes, today comes the news that Bristol-based Aardman Animations have been nominated for a fifth Oscar for the wonderful A Matter of Loaf and Death. It's great news for the team who painstakingly mold these little plasticine worlds for hours on end. Anyone who can actually do this job deserves an award in my book.


I love seeing Bristolian celluloid talent properly acknowledged, and when it's a company that keeps working with traditional techniques, (especially up against the technological might of current Hollywood blockbusters, e.g. The Blue Tree People Film) and not cutting corners, bowing to studio pressures or plastering the thing wth guns and explosions - well, that's even better. Then again, that might just be my inner Whether's-Originals-sucking, slipper-wearing technophobe escaping again...

Either way, congratulations Nick Park and team, and long may my beloved Bristol continue making quality animation and film worthy of international recognition!

No comments:

Post a Comment